Water and Fire Damage Restoration After Kitchen Fires in Southbury
October is National Fire Prevention Month.
Cooking is one of the most common causes of household fires in Connecticut, responsible for 50% of home fires.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, two-thirds of home cooking fires started with the ignition of food or other cooking materials. Ranges accounted for the largest share (62%) of home cooking fire incidents and ovens accounted for 16%.
It only takes a brief moment for a kitchen fire to start and quickly grow out of control.
- Be on alert! Don't use the stove or stove top if you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol.
- Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, or broiling food.We have all walked away for a moment while cooking only to remember we were cooking by the smell of something burning. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
- Use a timer to remind you of items that are cooking. If you have something cooking, check it regularly
- Keep flammables at a safe distance. Keep anything that can catch fire — potholders, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains — away from your stove top.
- If you have a small grease fire, smother the flames by sliding a lid over the pan and turning off the burner. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
- If the fire cannot be contained easily, just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire. More than half (55%) of reported non-fatal home cooking fire injuries occurred when the victims tried to fight the fire themselves.
- Call 9-1-1 from outside the home
It only takes a moment for a fire to start in your home that can cause substantial damage. In addition to the smoke and soot damage left behind, there will also be water damage from firefighting efforts.
After fire emergency services have made your home safe, call SERVPRO of Southbury/Torrington at (203) 267-6262 for fire and water damage restoration. We offer professional services that include water damage clean up, smoke and soot removal, the removal of damaged items as well as the rebuilding of your home to complete the restoration.