Washing Machine Leaks Cause Water Damage to Torrington, CT Homes
A leaking washing machine can cause substantial water damage to your Watertown, CT home. When a leak occurs, the water will flow out of your machine or it's hose until you discover the mess. The flooding can cause damage to wood floors, walls, furniture and even through the ceiling to the floors below. There are preventative steps homeowners can take to reduce their risk of an appliance leak.
- Make sure your hoses aren't kinked. There should be at least 4 inches between the wall and your washing machine.
- Check your detergent. Too much of it or the wrong kind (in high efficiency machines) can clog the overflow tube and cause a leak.
- Inspect to see that the drain hose is properly inserted into the drain line - it can become loose during machine use.
- Check your supply line hoses to make sure they aren't brittle or cracked. We recommend using stainless steel braided hoses to avoid deterioration.
- If your washing machine is in a high risk area (adjacent to living areas or on a second floor) consider installing a washing machine leak detector with an alarm that alerts you if it detects water on the floor. It will also close the valves so that flooding doesn’t continue.
- Turn off your washing machine water supply at the lever whenever you leave home for an extended period.
If you have flooding from a washing machine leak in your home, give SERVPRO of Southbury/Torrington a call at (203) 267-6262. Our team has over twenty years of experience in water damage restoration in Connecticut.