Video: SERVPRO® Races to Restore Houston
A few helpful tips for flood recovery:
- Return home only when officials declared the area as being safe.
- Approach home carefully, look for loose power lines, cracked foundation, and other damages.
- Watch out for wild animals, especially poisonous snakes that may come into your home through flood water.
- If you smell natural or propane gas or hear hissing, get out and call fire department
- During cleanup, wear protective clothing, including rubber gloves and boots.
Also remember to:
- Stay away from floodwaters. If you come across a flowing stream where water is above your ankles, stop, turn around and go another way. As little as six inches of water can sweep you off your feet.
- If you approach a flooded road while driving, turn around and go another way. If you are caught on a flooded road and waters are rising, get out of the car immediately and move to higher ground. Most cars can be swept away by less than two feet of moving water.
- Keep children out of flood water. They are curious and often lack judgment about running water or contaminated water.