Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
If a fire has struck your Torrington area home or business, you may be uncertain of the next step to take. Regardless of whether your home has suffered a small oven fire or widespread chimney fire that has caused substantial smoke and soot , you may not always be sure of how to proceed while you are waiting for us to arrive.
There are many safety concerns present after the fire is out. Wet materials such as sheetrock can be very heavy. Ceilings are often compromised and in danger of collapsing after having been saturated with water from fire fighting efforts. The fire may have affected the structural integrity of the house as well, presenting a situation in which it may not be safe to enter. We also caution our clients to inspect their homes for electrical hazards such as wet appliances, standing water and exposed wiring. After a fire, there may also be "slip and fall" safety concerns that a homeowner should be mindful of such as wet floors and tripping hazards.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (203) 267-6262
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.